January 14, 2014

Tree and Leaf Identification

I cheated and bought a kit.  I want you to know that up front before wondering how in the world we found such beautiful samples, etc. etc.

I bought the one from Home Science Tools.  Here's a linky: http://www.hometrainingtools.com/tree-leaf-identification-kit/p/BE-TREEKIT/

I don't know if it is worth the price for you people who can actually look at a leaf and figure out what sort of tree might have produced such a leaf.  As I've said so many times before, I am not a scientist.  I put up with science because it is my children's favorite subject.  I am also not a naturalist.  I love being outdoors and take my kids hiking two or three times a week three seasons of the year, but I still can't tell you the names of anything that we see (except when we run into moose--even I know what a moose is).

My point is that the kit was worth the money to me because it made my life easier.  We made a fun poster, the kids loved looking through the identification guide, we justified two or three hikes by gathering leaves, and in short--we had a lot of fun with the kit.  We also tried to dry leaves and make pictures out of them but we waited a hair too long and the leaves were all a little too dry and brittle.  Next spring, summer, and fall we plan to try again.



And yes, I am trying to catch up so my posts are a little brief.  Sorry about that.

1 comment:

  1. Kits are always worth the money to me because it saves me so much time gathering the stuff. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete