February 23, 2010

Insect Unit #3: A few other fun sites

Insect crafts abound and you can pretty much google "insect crafts" and get a multitude of options. My favorite insect craft site is DLTK. I'm sure you've all heard of DLTK but just in case, I thought I'd throw it out there.

Another fantastic insect site is the University of Illinois "Let's Talk About Insects" extension. It contains a slideshow that describes the attributes of insects vs. bugs and goes through insect body parts and whatnot. My children thought it was awesome because they were allowed to watch something on the computer. I thought it was very well-done.

The best part of the University of Illinois site was the "Eee Gads! A New Bug!" section where you create your own bug by choosing from a variety of body types, wing sizes, antenna shapes, etc. You can make your insect different colors, give it a name and a description, and enter it into the new bug hall of fame. You can also email it to someone so my parents and my husband were inundated with emails about new bugs. Fun, fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment