November 13, 2010

Inspiration

I was on youtube the other day, looking for a particular Uchtdorf message that my sister had my husband put on a dvd for her ward's Young Women in Excellence program.

I didn't find it, but I did find this:




I'm sure some of you remember this talk. It struck me then. And it struck me again when I watched the MormonMessage version.

It caused me to reflect on how much I love to create.

I love to create happiness in my marriage.
I love to create yummy, healthy, homemade food.
I love to create YA fantasy novels and historical nonfiction for children. I love to write.
I love to create beautiful babies.
I love to create music. I love to create memories. I love to create memories through music. (My children and friends performing for my children's great-grandparents.)
I love to create opportunities for my children to explore nature.
I love to create libraries. And readers.
I love to create Christmas stockings.
I love to create colorful spaces.
I love to create cakes.
Especially cakes that involve a shark eating an out-of-place knight.
I love to create curriculum.
I love to create/inspire happiness in my children.
There are so many, many opportunities for me to create and I am grateful for each one.

It is sad that I sometimes forget that my children also love to create.

Notice that I do NOT like creating art. Of any form. I do not like to color. I do not like to cut. I do not like to paste. I do not like to scrapbook. I do not like to draw or paint or anything like unto it. I also do not enjoy cooking with children, as it creates huge messes and I am, in general, opposed to huge messes.

It is not surprising that I sometimes forget how much my children enjoy all those things. And even worse, I forget to incorporate those things into our school curriculum. I'm imposing my limitations on my limitless children. I am curtailing their creative expression.

After pondering this for several days, I decided I needed to reevaluate my upcoming curriculum. My animal classification bird unit was totally revamped, making creating a central feature. I'll be posting about it in the upcoming days. My children have loved ever single creative thing we have done. And so have I. Truly--when I remember President Uchtdorf's message, I can color with a smile. In motherhood, and in homeschooling, we sometimes need to stretch ourselves for the good of our children. I'm trying.

Now, go create something.

(Miriam: the day she came to me and explained that she'd created a "band in a drum." She's a creative soul.)



2 comments:

  1. A good reminder post. :) I tend to limit my children, too -- ESPECIALLY with cooking!! It's just so much "faster and easier" (as my own mother would say) to do it by myself. :) I've tried so very, very hard to get that phrase out of my head and just let my kids help me (they certainly want to!). It's a work in progress...

    Thank you for President Uchtdorf's talk...I needed that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this post. thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete